Licit is Known to mean: conforming to the requirements of the law : not forbidden by law : permissible
But the key is permissible by what standards and are you compliant with other law as soon as you cross provincial or state lines. A lot of companies have safety programs and they all state we are compliant but REMEMBER, under law that is the minimum standard show in law that you MUST BE-compliant with. That also means you have to room to advance and grow and EXCEED those standards for increased safety in your program.
Compliance (or adherence) with the Occupational Health & Safety Act (OHSA) and other relevant legislation and regulations related to health and safety of your employees is an important and legal requirement. Not being aware of your legal responsibilities and duties is not a defense for non-compliance.
What the law says
The Occupational Health and Safety Act sets out minimum health and safety standards for workplaces in your state or province. Employers are required by law to post a copy of the Act in the workplace. The OHS Act and Regulations is anchored on the “internal responsibility system”, which means employers and employees share responsibility for keeping the workplace safe and workers healthy. Supervisors and workers both have roles to play.
A safe environment is a productive workplace. Health and safety is not simply a legal obligation: it is a business opportunity. You can boost your bottom line by improving health and safety performance, which reduces the costs associated with avoidable losses and lost time injuries, and leads to high productivity.
What you can do
- Become familiar with the legislation applicable to your work and learn about your rights and responsibilities
- Get help – contact your health and safety association for information on what training you can receive to ensure compliance before the regulatory agencies come knocking
- Provide employees with hazard information, proper safety equipment, training and competent supervision
- Have worker representation for health and safety
- Follow proper procedures if an injury occurs
- Keep a safe and well-maintained workplace.