Let’s be honest here. Is it really necessary to have an accident or even an incident free job site? Isn’t 99.9% accident free good enough?
To make our point clear, several examples are listed exhibiting what life would be like if things were done correctly 99.9% of the time.
- We would drink 1 hour of unsafe water each month
- There would be 2 unsafe plane landings per day at O’Hara International Airport in Chicago.
- There would be 20,000 incorrect drug prescriptions given every year.
- Doctors would drop 50 newborn babies at birth every day.
- 500 incorrect surgical operations would be performed each week.
- 22,000 cheques would be deducted from the wrong bank account each hour.
- Your heart would miss 32,000 heartbeats each year.
99.9% safe doesn’t sound very safe, does it? Suddenly, the quest of ZERO makes more sense.